Dealing with sluggish kitchen and laundry drains make it difficult to perform everyday functions in a modern home. Here are five ways to help avoid some kitchen drain issues.
- Use a wire sink strainer basket to catch food before it goes down the drain and then empty food remnants into the trash; not the garbage disposal.
- After pouring dirty dish water or cooking liquids down the drain, squirt a small amount of degreaser dish liquid into the drain. Then, run hot water for three to five minutes.
- Put leftover cooking liquids (meat juices, pasta water) into recycled food jars with lids or into doubled plastic baggies and dispose into trash bin.
- Before washing dishes, use paper towels to wipe out any leftover food and grease; toss paper into trash.
- Purchase and use an enzyme drain cleaner regularly.
Taking these few precautions may not fix major plumbing problems but they certainly help prevent many kitchen drain issues.